You cannot reply to this discussion unless you log in.

Hi, I'd like to print out a drawing, but would like to see good quality on paper instead of pixels. Sketchport uses vectors, so it shouldn't be an issue - I thought. There is no other application supporting sketchports format, so I need to export to png. No problem, just need to export a large png (and have big file).

But how to get a large png? Png file size seems to be automatically set according to the drawing area size. So I tried continuing a drawing (now in the open menu) and setting another size (and use scale view after). But it appears each dimension is limited to just 1600 pixels. Any ideas?

michiru:

Is it really limited to 1600 pixels? I've tried bigger sizes and Sketchport seems to accept them. :o

A Letter-sized file is 2550 by 3300 pixels in size. You can resize the length and height of the canvas on Sketchport to fit your picture (but be careful when printing out, there might be some cutting so you may want to try a smaller size).

If that doesn't work for you, you can try using Photoshop or its free alternative, GIMP. You can resize the limited dimensions to an appropriate size without losing the quality.

• For GIMP: Go to Image > Scale Image, then set interpolation to none.
  • For Photoshop (for my version, CS2, not sure about others): Go to Image > Image Size, modify the constraints for length and width, and in the dropdown log right next to "Resample Image", set to Nearest Neighbor instead of Bicubic.

That's all I can think of, I'm sorry if this wasn't any help!

Lunar Eclipse:

Thank you, michiru, actually, when setting the dimensions for drawing, it accepted higher numbers always, but did not increase the size further when going over 2000. Also, regardless of the size of the drawing area, the size of an exported png did not increase beyond 1600px. If printing on US letter, 1600px would enable about 145ppi, not bad, but also not great. When using a printer that can print in much better resoluation and actually using a vector source it would be a pity to have pixelish steps in a diagonal line that could be avoided. Resizing the image after export is not a good option, even if it does not cause quality loss, it can not significantly improve quality (I'd not be happy with just more pixels, would prefer higher resoltion).

magicalhobo:

Good advice, Michiru. I'm working on high resolution export, Lunar. :)

magicalhobo:

I've added a temporary fix that might help you. There is an Export PNG button on the draw page now for Pro users. It will export the image at the current canvas size. However, the canvas size is limited by the browser in some cases.

Lunar Eclipse:

Thank you very much :D

"You can't give up hope just because it is hopeless! You gotta hope even more, and cover your ears, and go: "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!""
Fry
0 online
Chat